Balloon kyphoplasty for spinal fractures
Balloon Kyphoplasty is a minimally-invasive procedure for the treatment of painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. In contrast to other forms of spinal fracture management, the procedure aims to correct spinal deformity, offering fast and sustained pain relief leading to an improved quality of life.
What is a vertebral compression fracture?
The bones in your spine are called vertebrae. The front part of each vertebra is called the vertebral body. A vertebral compression fracture (VCF) occurs when the vertebral body fractures and collapses. Most VCFs are caused by osteoporosis.
VCFs cause your spine to shorten and bend forward. This results in a hunched-over shape called kyphosis. Kyphosis can cause chronic pain, breathing problems, loss of appetite and sleeping problems. When you have one or more VCFs, your general health can be seriously compromised.
Treatment with balloon kyphoplasty
Before the treatment, you will have a medical examination and diagnostic investigations (such as x-rays) to identify the vertebral compression fracture(s) causing your back pain. KYPHON® Balloon Kyphoplasty can be performed while you are under general or local anaesthesia. Your doctor will discuss which option is most appropriate for you. Generally, the procedure takes less than one hour per fracture treated.
The four steps of the procedure are as follows:
1. Your consultant makes a narrow 1cm incision in your back and creates a very small pathway into the fractured bone.
2. A small balloon is inserted into the fractured vertebral body.
3. Your consultant carefully inflates the balloon to correct the deformity of the collapsed vertebral body. The balloon is then removed, leaving a cavity within the vertebra.
4. This cavity is filled with a bone cement to stabilise and fixate the fractured vertebra.
These four steps are performed on both sides (left and right) of the vertebral body.
Your doctor will discuss with you how quickly you can leave the hospital and return to your daily activities.
Why consider a KYPHON® Balloon Kyphoplasty?
- Fast and sustained pain relief.
- Improves your ability to perform daily activities.
- For an upright posture.
- Improves your quality of life.
- Corrects the spinal deformity.
What are the alternatives to Balloon Kyphoplasty?
Percutaneous vertebroplasty (PVP) is another minimally invasive procedure for the treatment of osteoporotic spinal fractures. This involves the placement of a percutaneous needle into the fractured vertebrae into which bone cement is then infused.
Non-surgical management can be prescribed for the treatment of osteoporotic spinal fractures, including:
- Bed rest
- Back bracing
- Drug therapy using pain-relieving medicines.
If you would like to book a consultation regarding Balloon Kyphoplastyplease call us on 0208 936 1201 or go to click here to find out more about our self-pay pricing.
Apply for a finance loan
You can apply for a finance loan. Find out more.