Laser vein treatment
Endovenous laser treatment (EVLT®) is a quick and simple treatment for varicose veins.
Why choose EVLT?
- It is a minimally invasive procedure performed under local anaesthetic.
- No overnight stay in hopsital is required.
- The procedure normally takes just one hour.
- There is less risk of scarring, infection and bruising.
- There is very little discomfort or pain after the procedure.
- You can resume your normal activities straight away.
EVLT is a minimally invasive procedure, performed under local anaesthetic by a Consultant Vascular Surgeon. Under ultrasound guidance, a thin fibre-optic probe is inserted through a tiny incision into the varicose vein, usualy near the knee. Laser energy is delivered via the probe in short pulses to seal the faulty vein. After treatment, the blood will be diverted to the many normal veins in the leg. Once the probe is removed the leg is bandaged.
Varicose vein surgery is a very safe operation. The majority of operations carried out for varicose veins are entirely straightforward and considering the large numbers of operations performed; serious complications are rare. However, all patients notice some bruising, in particular along the inner thigh. You may also experience pain and soreness following the operation but this will settle over the next two weeks. Occasionally, small sensory nerves in the skin, which are close to the vein may be damaged during the operation leading to small areas of numbness or pins and needles near the incision.
Not everyone will be suitable for laser vein treatment, your consultant will discuss the optins with you.