Mr Athanasios Vergados
QualificationsMBBS MD FEBO PhD
Main NHS base:
Barts Health NHS Trust (Whipps Cross Hospital)
- General adult ophthalmology
- Microincision Cataract surgery including premium lenses
- Medical and surgical glaucoma management
- Use of the latest diagnostic techniques
- Lasert treatment for glaucoma (Selective laser trabeculoplaty-SLT
- Peripheral iridotomy, Yag laser capsulotomy)
- Trabeculectomy augmented with MMC
- Tube surgery (Baerveldt tube, Ahmed valve)
- Microinvasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS)
- Ocular surface disease and dry eye syndrome
- Pterygium surgery
Training & background:
Mr Vergados was appointed as a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Barts Health NHS Trust, in 2017.
He is working as a Glaucoma specialist in Whipps Cross University Hospital and he is the lead for the Emergency service. He is also the glaucoma lead in Newham University Hospital.
Mr Vergados graduated with honours from one of the most prestigious Universities of Northern Italy-University of Brescia (2004)- where he undertook as well his MD with the post graduate thesis: Uveitis in HLA B27 positive patients.
He completed his training in ophthalmology in the University clinic of Athens and he was awarded with the Fellowship of European Board of Ophthalmology on 2013 and with the CCT (Certificate of Completion of Training) on the same year.
He is on the specialist register under Ophthalmology in GMC since 2014.
In May 2014 Mr Vergados was awarded with the PhD in Ophthalmology with the Research Project: Preperimetric changes in pseudoexfoliative Glaucoma from Athens University Medical School. Mr Vergados completed his 2 years fellowship in clinical and surgical glaucoma in Birmingham and Midlands Eye Centre, a leading institution in Microinvasive glaucoma surgery with international reputation.
In September 2016 was appointed as a glaucoma consultant in JPUH where he worked passionately in the East Anglia area but had to move in London because of family reasons.
As an eye surgeon he is committed to ensure that you receive high quality, safe and effective care using the best available equipment and techniques. Mr Vergados is able to recognize the different needs of each patient and he is known as compassionate doctor.
- BEECS (British Emergency Eye Care Society)
- British Ophthalmic Anaesthesia Society
- Athens Medical Association
- Hellenic Ophthalmological Society
- Greek Glaucoma Society
Please note these are regular clinics, other times may be available by appointment
M: Monthly sessions A: Consulting alternative weeks A/H: Ad Hoc