Mr Philip Mathew
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Main NHS base:
Barking, Havering & Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust
Mr Mathew is committed to taking care of you and believes in shared decision making and guiding you to help make the right decision for your treatment.
He offers both keyhole and open surgery as appropriate for a variety of wrist problems nearly always as day case surgery.
- arthritis of the wrist and painful and stiff fingers and thumb
- ligament injuries to the wrist and hand
- nerve compressions in the wrist, forearm and elbow like carpal or cubital tunnel syndrome
- fractures of the scaphoid, wrist or hand
- triggering or locking fingers, painful tendons ( Dequervain’s disease)
- Dupuytrens disease ( needle aponeurotomy if suitable or open surgery).
Training & background:
Following an intensive Orthopaedic training on the prestigious Percivall Pott Rotation in London, Mr Mathew pursued further training in hand surgery through overseas fellowships awarded by The British Society for Surgery of the Hand, The British Orthopaedic Trainees Association and the AO Foundation. These fellowships enhanced by understanding of hand and wrist pathology and the various treatments for these problems through working with some of the giants in hand and wrist surgery in the US, India, Spain and France.
He then completed a years hand surgery fellowship at the world renowned Pulvertaft Hand Unit in Derby and briefly worked as a Consultant at Chesterfield prior to taking up his current post as a full time Hand and Wrist Surgeon at Barking Havering and Redbridge NHS Trust.
Personal website address:
- British Society for Surgery of The Hand
- European Wrist Arthroscopy Society
Please note these are regular clinics, other times may be available by appointment
M: Monthly sessions A: Consulting alternative weeks A/H: Ad Hoc
Are you insured?
The Holly Private Hospital is recognised by all the major medical insurers and as a private patient you will enjoy the benefits of our premium service.
Find out more
Patients who wish to pay for their own consultation and treatment can book a self-pay appointment today.
Find out more